12 class VISTAS English Notes Chapter 1 The Third Level notes, Summary, Explanation, Difficult Words
CBSE Revision Notes for Class 12 English VISTAS chapter 1 The Third Level. online question papers, notes, complete study material for free to use.
Class 12 English VISTAS Chapter 1 The Third Level Notes , Syllabus, Summary. Explanation, Difficult Words .
📚 Chapter 1 📚
💠 The Third Level 💠
❇️ Main Characters In This Story …..
🔹 Sam (Psychiatrist )
🔹 Louisa (wife of charley)
❇️ Introduction Of Chapter …..
🔹 The Third Level by Jack Finney is an interesting story that is set after the world wars . Consequently, the life was full of fear, insecurity , war& worry .
🔹 This story talks about the figments of imaginations that can be used to escape from reality . It takes readers back in the time of joy and peace . Charley, the protagonist wants to escape from the harsh realities of modern world and imagines the world of 19th century where the people were living peaceful life and they had ample time for themselves.
🔹 The story weaves together psychological journey of the narrator into the past , present and progresses towards future.
❇️ Explanation Short notes …..
🔶 About Charley
- 31 years old ordinary person
- Takes temporary refuge from reality
- Wife Louisa worries
- Imagines himself at Galesburg in 1894 to stay back at the Third level “ Wants security and peace.
- Hobby stamp collection.
🔶 Charley ‘s description of the Third Level (imaginary)
- Smaller rooms, fewer ticket windows, wooden old styled information
- Derby hat and gold pocket watches
- Men with beards ,sideburns and moustaches
- Women with skirts, high buttoned shoes and legs of buttoned sleeves
- Brass spittoons on the floor,open flamed gas lights
- Old styled locomotives with funnel shaped stack ,
- Newspaper ‘The World’, 11th June 1894
- Charley wishes to buy two tickets to Galesburg
- Clerk stares at him since the currency is different
- Moves from past to present ( in reality) runs from there
🔶 Charley shares his experience
- Psychiatrist friend Sam refuses to believe
- Considers waking dream wish fulfillment
- Wife Louisa gets worried, disbelieves too
- Presidents of Newyork swear on the existence of two levels
🔶 Sam disappears
- Charley gets note from Sam of dated 18July 1894
- Sam suggests to keep on searching for the Third Level
- Reaches Third Level (Galesburg)world of peace
- Starts new business of hay ,grain and cattle
- Enjoys happy and peaceful life
🔶 First Day Cover
- Stamp collectors buy stamps on the day of release
- Mail the envelopes , blank paper in it with the postmark of the date to themselves
- Covers remain unopened, Charley inherited stamp collection from his grandfather
❇️ SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS …..
1. How do Charley’s wife Louisa and his friend Sam react to the narrator ‘ observation?
ANS. Charley the narrator states that there are three levels at Grand Central Station. His assertion is based on his personal observation. But his friend Sam said that Charley was unhappy and wanted to escape. His wife Louisa was shocked and worried. They both isbelieved him.
2. What do you learn about Galesburg, Illinois during 1894 ?
ANS. Galesburg has been describede peaceful place that was not ravaged by the two world wars It has old framed houses, huge lawns and splendid trees with expanded branches. The men would smoke cigar talk quietly. The women would be waving palm leaves fans. They have ample time for themselves .
3. What do you know about the ‘First Day Cover ‘?
ANS. When a new stamp is issued in any country, stamp collectors buy some and use them to mail envelopes at their on address on the very first day of release .They put a blank paper in the envelopes .The postmark proves the date of issue .The envelope is called a first day cover. It remains unopened.
Legal Notice This is copyrighted content of INNOVATIVE GYAN and meant for Students and individual use only. Mass distribution in any format is strictly prohibited. We are serving Legal Notices and asking for compensation to App, Website, Video, Google Drive, YouTube, Facebook, Telegram Channels etc distributing this content without our permission. If you find similar content anywhere else, mail us at email@example.com. We will take strict legal action against them.