9 Class Social Science Geography Chapter 1 India Size and Location Notes
|Chapter Name||India Size and Location|
|Category||Class 9 Geography Notes|
Class 9 Social Science Geography Chapter 1 India Size and Location Notes In which we will get about India, the size of India, India and the world, India’s neighbors etc.
Class 9 Social Science Geography Chapter 1 India Size and Location Notes
📚 Chapter = 1 📚
💠 India Size and Location 💠
❇️ India : At a Glance :-
- location :- India is located in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Population :- 121 Crore (2011 Census)
- Area :- The area of India is 3.28 million square km.
- Percentage of the world’s total geographical area :- India’s total area accounts for about 2.4 percent of the total geographical area of the world.
- No. of States :- 28 States
- Union territories :- 9 territories
- Percent of the world’s population :- 17.5 percent
- India’s rank by population :- Second
- India’s location by area :- 7
- land boundary of india :- India has a land boundary of about 15,200 km.
- Coastline of india Marine :- the total length of the coastline of the mainland including Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep is 7,616.6 km.
- The Standard meridian of india :- The Standard Meridian of India (82° 30’E), which passes through Mirzapur (in Uttar Pradesh), is taken as the standard time for the whole country.
- India’s latitude :- The latitudinal extent is from 8°4′ N to 37°6′ N.
- Longitudinal extent of india :- The longitudinal extent of the country is from 68°7′ E to 97°25′ E.
- Length of India from north to south :- Total distance of the country from North (Kashmir) to South (Kanyakumari) is 3214 km
- Width of India from East to West :- Total distance of the country from West (Gujarat) to East (Arunachal Pradesh) is 2933 km.
- Neighboring Countries of India :- India shares its boundaries with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the northwest, China (Tibet), Nepal and Bhutan in the north and Myanmar and Bangladesh in the east. Sri Lanka and Maldives are our two island neighbours.
- Largest state in India by area :- In terms of area, Rajasthan is the largest state in india.
- Smallest state in India by area :- In terms of area, Goa is the smallest state in India.
- Tropic of Cancer :- The Tropic of Cancer ( 23°30 ‘ N ) divides the country into almost two equal parts . The Tropic of Cancer passes through the states of Gujarat , Rajasthan , Madhya Pradesh , Chhattisgarh , Jharkhand , West Bengal , Tripura and Mizoram.
❇️ Size of india :-
🔹 The area of India is 32.8 lakh square kilometers and India’s total area is 2.4% of the total geographical area of the world.
🔹 India is the 7th largest country in the world.
🔹 It has land boundary of about 15,200 km and the total length of the coast line of the mainland including Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands is 7,516.6 km.
❇️ India’s location :-
🔹 India is located in the Northern Hemisphere.
❇️ India’s position on world map :-
🔹 The position of India on the world map is between 8°4′ North latitude to 37°6′ North latitude and 68°7′ East longitude to 97°25 East longitude.
🔹 Its extension from north to south is about 3214 km, while the extension from east to west is 2933 km. In this way, there is a difference of about 30 in its latitudinal and longitude extension.
❇️ India’s position among the countries of the world on the basis of area :-
🔹 India is the seventh largest country in the world on the basis of area. Countries having more area than India respectively :-
- United States of America
- Australia and
❇️ Tropic of Cancer :-
🔹 The Tropic of Cancer ( 23°30 ‘ N ) divides the country into almost two equal parts.
❇️ Which states does the Tropic of Cancer pass through?
🔹 The Tropic of Cancer passes through the states of Gujarat , Rajasthan , Madhya Pradesh , Chhattisgarh , Jharkhand , West Bengal , Tripura and Mizoram.
❇️ Presently 28 states of India :-
|9.||Himachal Pradesh||Shimla||23.||Tamil Nadu||Chennai|
❇️ Presently 9 Union territories of India
- ( i ) Ladakh
- ( ii ) Jammu and Kashmir
|2.||Andaman and Nicobar||Port Blair|
|4.||Dadar and Nagar Haveli||Silvassa|
|7.||Daman and Diu||Daman|
|9.||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar|
❇️ Largest and smallest states in India on the basis of area :-
🔹 In terms of area, Rajasthan is the largest state and Goa is the smallest state in India.
❇️ India’s Neighbours :-
🔹 India shares its boundaries with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the northwest, China (Tibet), Nepal and Bhutan in the north and Myanmar and Bangladesh in the east.
🔹 Sri Lanka and Maldives are our two island neighbours.
🔹 India is separated from the rest of Asia and is called the subcontinent.
❇️ Names of countries included in the Indian subcontinent :-
🔹 The Indian subcontinent includes Pakistan in the northwest, Nepal, Bhutan in the north, Bangladesh in the east and India in the middle.
Legal Notice This is copyrighted content of INNOVATIVE GYAN and meant for Students and individual use only. Mass distribution in any format is strictly prohibited. We are serving Legal Notices and asking for compensation to App, Website, Video, Google Drive, YouTube, Facebook, Telegram Channels etc distributing this content without our permission. If you find similar content anywhere else, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will take strict legal action against them.