9 Class Civics Chapter 1 What is Democracy? Why Democracy? Notes
|Chapter Name||What is Democracy? Why Democracy?|
|Category||Class 9 Civics Notes|
Class 9 Social Science Civics Chapter 1 What is Democracy? Why Democracy? Notes In which we will learn about democracy, main features of democracy, main features of democratic government, some features of non-democratic government, arguments against democracy, arguments in favor of democracy, etc.
Class 9 Social Science Civics Chapter 1 What is Democracy? Why Democracy? Notes
📚 Chapter = 1 📚
💠 What is Democracy? Why Democracy? 💠
❇️ Meaning of Democracy :-
🔹 Democracy is taken from a Greek word- ‘Demokratia’ or Latin word- ‘Democratia’
🔹 In Greek- Demos means ‘people’ and Kratia means ‘rule’. i.e. democracy means rule of people.
❇️ Democracy :-
🔹 In fact Democracy is said to be a form of government in which people elect their own ruler.
❇️ Meaning of Democracy by Abraham Lincoln :-
🔹 “Democracy is a form of government of the people, for the people, by the people.
❇️ Main Features of Democracy :-
🔶 First feature :-
🔹 In a democracy, the final decision making power must rest with those elected by the people.
🔶 Second feature :-
🔹 A democracy must be based on a free and fair election where those currently in power have a fair chance of losing.
🔶 Third feature :-
🔹 In a democracy, each adult citizen must have one vote and each vote must have one value.
🔶 Fourth feature :-
🔹 A democratic government rules within limits set by constitutional law and citizens’ rights.
❇️ The characteristics of democratic government :-
- Decision making power must be with those elected by the people.
- It must be based on free and fair election at fixed interval.
- It must be based on universal adult franchise
- Govt. should rule within limits set by constitutional law and citizens’ right. Freedom of press and citizen rights
❇️ The characteristics of a non democratic government :-
- Only a few has the power of decision making.
- Elections are absent or are not fair.
- No place for opposition
- Curb on people’s right
❇️ Arguments against Democracy :-
- Leads to instability due to frequent leader change.
- Some time it leads to bad decision.
- Leads to delay due to constant consultancy.
- It encourages corruption as it is based on electoral competition.
- It is only about competition and power play, no scope for morality.
- Ordinary people do not have the decision making ability.
❇️ Arguments for Democracy :-
- It is more accountable to its citizen
- Improves the quality of decision making
- It provides the method to deal with differences and conflicts
- It enhances the dignity of Citizen
- It allows the citizen to correct their own mistakes
❇️ Broader meanings of democracy :-
- Democracy is considered the best available form of government.
- However in its broader sense is not just a political institution but a way of life.
- It is rooted in our day to day life functioning where decisions are made that involve consultation with and consent of all those who are affected by decisions.
- This apply to a family, a community or even a government.
- Thus it enables us to judge the present situation and its weaknesses and encourages marching towards betterment.
Legal Notice This is copyrighted content of INNOVATIVE GYAN and meant for Students and individual use only. Mass distribution in any format is strictly prohibited. We are serving Legal Notices and asking for compensation to App, Website, Video, Google Drive, YouTube, Facebook, Telegram Channels etc distributing this content without our permission. If you find similar content anywhere else, mail us at email@example.com. We will take strict legal action against them.